Also called Suji aur Gur ka halwa, this halwa is bound to become a clear favourite as it requires only a handful of ingredients, it calls for jaggery which is rich in iron instead of sugar, it is ready in 20 minutes, and it can be made as Prasad for festivals like Diwali.
- 1 cup of semolina (aka suji or rava)
- 1 cup jaggery
- ¾ cup ghee
- 2 tablespoons almond pieces
- 5-6 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1½ cup of water
- 1½ cup of milk
- Sauté the almonds in 1 teaspoon of ghee until light golden. Set aside.
- Roast the semolina in the rest of the ghee on medium flame until it changes colour slightly.
- While the semolina is roasting, simmer the water and jaggery for 7-10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the boiling jaggery water to the hot semolina, little by little, while mixing to avoid lumps.
- Bring the heat to medium, close the lid and cook the halwa until it thickens slightly. Add some hot water if needed and cook thoroughly.
- Add almond pieces and crushed cardamom. Mix well and enjoy this halwa warm.